Friday Round-up: This week in the news
- Monday of this week was International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. Read the statement by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights here: http://is.gd/4r6fh
- Tackling homelessness will lead to lower health care costs. http://ow.ly/viC7
- 97 year old woman and sons (that we blogged about last week as well) are no longer homeless after article brought attention to their plight. http://tinyurl.com/yj76e27
- Revised formula puts 1 in 6 Americans in poverty: http://bit.ly/4BGvSp
- Here’s an interesting NY Time editorial on the current “Compassion Deficit” and the criminalization of homelessness. http://tinyurl.com/yfvcwp4
Also, don’t forget, just one month to go until the 22nd Help the Homeless Walkathon on November 21st! Sign up and join the Calvary team today – only $15 for 25 and under. www.helpthehomelessdc.org Make sure to add Calvary Women’s Services (DC 010) as your Beneficiary Organization when registering.