Friday Round-Up: This week in the news
November is Homelessness Awareness Month. Did you know that over 12,000 individuals are homeless in the DC Metro area?
- Domestic violence and homelessness are entwined issues, especially among the women at Calvary. This is one couple’s crusade- a 500-mile walk: http://tinyurl.com/ybxhe72
- Homelessness among female veterans is growing. These female veterans have finally found a home of their own and the support they needed. http://shar.es/aAJkk
- As the cold weather nears….”Overflow Shelters Opening, Filling Fast” What’s going to happen? http://tinyurl.com/ygrhlek
- Check out this crazy statistic (and more): Half of U.S. children will be on Food Stamps at some point between the ages of 1 and 20 http://ow.ly/yU4r
Only two weeks to go until the Help the Homeless Walkathon on the National Mall on November 21st. Read here about friends of Calvary’s supporting our efforts around the DC Metro area.
- One local student is rallying his peers: http://tinyurl.com/yjm5ao3
- Tovah is one of our awesome volunteers, and she’s walking. http://tinyurl.com/ykzl2nf
- Wiley Rein, LLP is continuing their strong partnership with Calvary! http://tinyurl.com/WileyRein
And we hope you decide to join us as well! It takes just 3 hours of your time to make a difference in the lives of thousands of women and men who are experiencing homelessness in our area. www.helpthehomelessdc.org