Friday Round-Up: This week in the news
- From over the weekend- one local woman’s experience with homelessness. http://tinyurl.com/ybooqjt
- This past Monday was Human Trafficking Awareness Day. This blog explains a little bit more about what it is and how you can help. http://bit.ly/7wZhwr
- An article in response the the New York Times report featured last week: “TANF programs are simply not responding adequately to the recession” http://bit.ly/6lBdSo
- Libraries are often safe havens for those living on the streets, and the San Francisco library just became the first to hire a social worker- http://tinyurl.com/ybgyrgu
- This blog from the Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida gives a great synopsis of the National Coalition for the Homeless’s report on winter homeless services across the United States.
- Demand overwhelms programs to prevent homelessness http://bit.ly/7M4Sak
- One local GWU student, and a volunteer at Miriam’s Kitchen, is conducting her own research on DC’s homeless, which she will be presenting at the 2010 Urban Affairs Association Conference in Honolulu in March. http://tinyurl.com/y8lmnlm