October 8, 2010
Friday Round-Up: this week in the news
- This week is Mental Illness Awareness Week. Is someone you know affected by a mental illness? Take some time and educate yourself.
- As a follow-up to our unemployment blog from earlier this week, the latest stats from the Labor Department today show that 95,000 jobs were lost in September: http://wapo.st/cfetEY
- An interesting statistic – 10% of families in D.C. emergency shelters come from outside the city limits. As the need for shelter grows in the metro area, will D.C. be able to keep up? http://wapo.st/aRmQHk
- You may be seeing a lot of pink in the next few weeks – October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This story is a reminder that awareness is only the first step: http://bit.ly/a9nU2m
- As the temperatures outside get colder, please keep Calvary in mind for in-kind donations. Here’s the story of one group of volunteers in Alabama getting prepared for winter needs: http://bit.ly/985KsT