Volunteers are Getting Involved This Spring
“Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don’t have to have a college degree to serve. You don’t have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
Now that we are through the holidays and securely planted in 2012, I thought it a good time to share the great work that our volunteer team has been doing. Because of their efforts across the programs, we have had a REMARKABLE start to the new year!
Check out what our volunteer team has been up to:
- A handful of diehard volunteers participated in our Good Hope Kitchen fundraising campaign—a drive that has raised nearly $62,000 to date!
- Overnight and meal volunteer Katie Bradley has been taking fantastic pictures of the construction at Calvary’s new home on Good Hope Road. Check out some of Katie’s photos, and the progress being made east of the river!
- In February, a group of volunteers from Pultneyville Reformed Church in Pultneyville, NY joined us for a morning of INTENSE cleaning and organizing in the basement at Calvary. Because we store many of our supplies and nearly all of our donated items in the basement, it can get quite overwhelming after the holidays. This group of 9 was able to organize and to prepare these items for our upcoming move!
- Just this past week, volunteers from North Carolina State University joined us for a deep cleaning and organization day at Pathways. To tout their donation even more, these students were on their spring break! While fellow classmates spent their week in tropical places kicking back, this team traveled to DC for a week of solid volunteer work, including their morning at Pathways and serving dinner that same night at Calvary.
- New volunteers are joining our team every day! By the end of March, we will have welcomed 25 new overnight volunteers and 10 new meal volunteers to our volunteer family, which has grown to nearly 350 strong! One of our newest additions, the American-Turkish Association of Washington, D.C. (ATA-DC ) is not only is joining our meal volunteer force, but they also recently held an event in honor of International Women’s Day, with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Calvary.
In addition to these highlights, we are grateful for the ongoing contributions of all of our volunteers – from staying overnight to serving meals and much more! Interested in joining the team? Contact Catherine at 202-289-2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.