Celebrating the Holiday Season!
With Thanksgiving under our belts (which after all that turkey, will have to be loosened) the Christmas season is officially upon us. What does this mean? It is now socially acceptable to play holiday music (though I’ve had my sounds of the season station on for a good two weeks now), holiday lattes abound, the malls are zoos, and there is that winter bite in the air (well, there was, until we got these amazing spring temps!).
Here at Calvary, preparations are well underway to ensure the women living in our programs have an enjoyable holiday season, and I think it is important to give all of our volunteers a HUGE shout out! We had a phenomenal meal volunteer group (the Mixx Ryders) join us for thanksgiving and they’ve started our efforts off strong. Over the next month, our meal volunteers will treat our residents to sweet treats as well as full on holiday parties. The Junior League of Washington will add to the spirit with handmade decorations done in one of their monthly life skills class. The Washington DCJCC will send two teams to our programs on Christmas day for holiday games and caroling. And, let’s not forget our overnight volunteers, who will supervise our programs every night, including Christmas Eve, Christmas day and New Year’s.
Our team of volunteers and supporters is UNSTOPPABLE, and we can’t thank you enough for all that you do! Wishing you all very Happy Holidays!
5 ways to help at Calvary throughout the holidays (and beyond):
- Donate items from our Calvary Winter Wish List 2011.
- Join us for a wrapping party! Contact Catherine at (202) 289-2111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prepare a meal that can be frozen and used on a cold, snowy day.
- Even though all of our 2011 meals have been reserved, there is still a huge need for overnight volunteers! Join our overnight team!
- Make Calvary your charity of choice for those extra holiday funds! (donate here)