Calvary Women’s Services Chosen as Site for Makeover by The Mission Continues
For Immediate Release
Contact: Jeannette O’Connor, 202-302-3268, email@example.com
On March 5, Dozens of Female Veterans will Transform Calvary’s Outdoor and Indoor Spaces
Washington, DC (March 2, 2020) – On Thursday, March 5, Calvary Women’s Services, which provides homeless women with transitional and permanent supportive housing and services, will be treated to a one-day makeover by up to 80 female veterans from The Mission Continues.
Located on Good Hope Road in Anacostia, Calvary Women’s Services programs are designed for women who are survivors of violence and trauma, are living with mental illness, or are in recovery from substance abuse. Through personalized services and with peer support, each woman identifies and builds on her own strengths in order to meet her goals for safe housing, good health, and financial independence.
On Thursday, March 5th, up to 80 participants from The Mission Continues Women Veterans Leadership Program, who are in Washington, DC for a three-day training, will participate in the service project at Calvary. Working alongside Calvary clients, they will transform the outdoor patio and garden areas, refresh and refurnish the education space, repaint the dining room, and more.
“We are tremendously grateful to The Mission Continues for choosing Calvary as the site for this service project,” said Kris Thompson, CEO of Calvary Women’s Services. “As we head into spring, the facelift of our facilities will be uplifting for all of us – residents and staff alike.”
“The Mission Continues’ Women Veterans Leadership Program empowers women veterans to further develop their leadership skills to positively impact their workplace and their communities,” said Susan Thaxton, VP of Programs for The Mission Continues and US Navy Veteran. “We are so grateful for the opportunity for our participants to support the work of Calvary Women’s Services in empowering women in the Anacostia community.”
- Wednesday, March 4, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm: Several staff from The Mission Continues will be on site to prep the space, cut lumber, etc.
- Thursday, March 5, 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm: Up to 80 female veterans from The Mission Continues will work with Calvary Women’s Services’ residents to refurbish the facility both inside and out (building picnic tables, making planters, painting several rooms, building shelving, compiling gift bags for Calvary residents, and more). The veterans will arrive at Calvary on buses at approximately 1:00 pm.
- Kris Thompson, Calvary CEO, as well as a current resident of Calvary will be available for interviews.
- Media interesting in attending should RSVP to Jeannette O’Connor at 202-302-3268 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- To schedule a pre-event tour (for “before” photos or other purposes), please also contact Jeannette.
Calvary Women’s Services empowers homeless women in Washington, DC, to transform their lives through housing, health, education, and employment programs. Calvary is committed to providing these services in Wards 7 and 8, neighborhoods with the highest poverty rates in the District. Our programs are designed for women who are survivors of violence and trauma, are living with mental illness, or are in recovery from substance abuse. Utilizing a trauma-informed model, personalized services, and peer support, each woman identifies and builds on her own strengths in order to meet her goals for safe housing, good health, and financial independence. With more than thirty-five years’ experience, we know our model works: 90% of the women who move from Calvary into their own homes end their homelessness for good.